How to use the remedies?


The Uganda Human Rights Commission

Any person – who claims that a human right or a right guaranteed under the Ugandan Constitution has been infringed or threatened – is entitled to apply for redress which may include compensation. The Uganda Human Rights Commission is competent to investigate – at its own initiative or on a complaint made by any person or group of persons – against the violation of any human right.

If that commission concludes that there has been an infringement of a human right, it may order:

Moreover a person or authority dissatisfied with the decision made by the commission has a right to appeal to the High Court.

The High Court

The High Court may award a writ of habeas corpus ad subjiciendum to the person in whose custody the person deprived of liberty is:

On the other hand, any person aggrieved by an order made under section 34 may appeal from the decision to the Court of Appeal within 30 days after the making of the order appealed from whether the order has been made in the exercise of the civil or criminal jurisdiction of the High Court.