October 2, 2017
Birth certificates in CAR: the exception rather than the rule
Central African Republic (the)Children's rightsNews
- The rate of birth registration in the Central African Republic (CAR) is one of the lowest in Africa. Why is this so?
- In the study, you explain that children with no birth certificate are still able to attend school. What are the real consequences of the low rate of birth registration for people’s rights?
- The mobile courts organised by ASF to deliver judicial rulings in lieu of birth certificates have had a lot of success with the population. What explains this high demand?
- Are the Central African authorities fully aware of the failures of the Register of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, and committed to resolving them?
- What concrete steps to improve birth registration have you identified?
- What role can international actors play?